Thursday, January 8, 2015

Glitter Removal with Nail Clips

Hi Lovelies! I finally found a solution to my glitter removing woes! It seems that every year I end up with some sort of post about glitter removal. Just like a lot of you, I love glitter, but hate hate hate the removal. In 2011, I was excited to discover the foil removal method. The method still works perfectly, but I find myself dreading the whole foil wrapping process. In 2012, I learned about the DIY PVC peel-off base coat (aka Elmer's glue) and was convinced I would use it with every glitter manicure. Well that also didn't quite work out because I often add glitter to my manicure as an afterthought to spice it up and starting with a peel-off base takes planning. Turns out I'm just not much of a planner when it comes to manicures. In 2013, I tried gel-off clips from the Born Pretty Store which were a great concept, but failed miserably because they were not acetone resistant. Into the trash they quickly went.

I finally recovered from the failed gel-off clips and decided to try my luck with another brand. The price is just right and I figured I wouldn't loose much if they also failed. I have been using these for the past few months and find myself reaching for them time and time again!


I purchased these Nail clips here on Ebay from the Lily Yang Store. If you are not already familiar with this Ebay store, I suggest you take a few minutes to browse through their products. I often come back to this store for all sorts of rhinestones, brushes and other nail art accessories.

The Nail clips are sold in a pack of ten and are available in 3 different colors: white, purple and pink. Note the store listing also has "rose red" clips, but those are different, so try at your own risk. As you can see, I decided to purchase the purple clips. The "reusable keeper" as advertised on the package is simply the plastic insert that separates them. I found it unnecessary and chose to just keep my clips in a drawer next to the cotton wipes.


All of the clips are the same size, which if anything is my only complaint about these. They are a bit tight on my thumbs so I would have liked a couple of the clips to be slightly larger. The clips are simple alligator clips with a spring inside. The spring is strong and easily holds the clip on the nail. The inside is ribbed for better grip on the cotton/removal wipes. This photo is after many uses of the clips and the plastic is holding up perfectly against acetone...


A quick illustration on how to use these clips...

You will need:
  • Acetone or nail polish remover. I use my own mix of acetone+glycerin remover
  • Cotton wipes. I used cotton squares which I cut into quarters for a perfect fit over the nails.
  • Nail clips
Just in case you are curious, the glitter I've got on in this photo is Glam Polish Welcome to the 60's

Steps:


Instructions:
  1. Soak the cotton in nail polish remover and lay over the nail to cover it completely
  2. Pinch open the nail clip and place it over the fingertip
  3. Repeat steps 1-2 on the rest of the fingers. Work one hand at a time so that you will have one hand free for the rest of the steps.

    Wait 3-5 minutes for the acetone to soak through the glitter. (I tend to browse Instagram during this step and end up loosing track of time. Come say hi to me on IG @WackyLaki!)
  4. Pinch open the clip and remove it from the fingertip
  5. Apply gentle pressure over the cotton wrap and twist gently from side to side as you slide the wrap off toward the tip of the nail.
  6. All done! Majority (if not all) of the glitter should be on the cotton leaving you with nice clean nails!

Thanks for looking and as always, I would love to know what you think of this!

Anutka :)

31 comments:

  1. I hopped on eBay and bought these!
    They look so much easier than my normal tin foil :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo! You will love them. I find the foil method so tedious, but this works like a charm :)

      Delete
  2. hmm these seem interesting. adding them to my ebay cart now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely worth the money! It is much quicker than foil wrapping each nail :)

      Delete
  3. I just may have to order these! So glad they are working for you so far! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely a favorite of mine now. Just snap them on and 3 minutes later the glitter is off. No fuss :)

      Delete
  4. Glad to see some clips that work! I got a different version off eBay in the past that were really big, no shaping or contouring to the clip. I guess it was intended if you were using a full sized cotton ball on each finger. But I don't.

    I found what worked for me was cotton rope from beauty supply (like used for perms), so I can cut to different sizes. Zoya Remove+ in the pump, and these blue rubber finger tips you can get from office section at Walmart. Perfect combo for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen other versions on ebay as well and was never interested enough to try them out. They did seem bigger and awkward to use.
      It sounds like you did find the perfect solution for you. I might have to try that cotton rope too. :)

      Delete
  5. I like to use rubber finger caps that cashiers and secretaries use to pick up papers easily. Not sure if that's a common thing everywhere, or only here in Japan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard that before and it sounds like a great idea also. I suppose any way you can keep the cotton on for a few minutes will work well! :)

      Delete
  6. I love wearing a glitter top coat now and then but hate the removal process which makes me reluctant to wear glitter sometimes. I ordered a set of these to try out. I'm hoping they'll be the answer to the glitter removal problem I've been having. I have been using the foil method but would like for the process to be a little faster. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love these! They definitely save time over the foil method. So quick to just snap on, wait a few minutes and you are good to go. I'm hooked on them. Seriously, no more fear of glitter for me :)

      Delete
  7. Awesome! I had seen these clips while browsing the 'Net and ordered them. I know they are coming from Hong Kong so I know I need to have patience for delivery. Your review makes me want them NOW, though! Glad you liked them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I you do have to be patient with these. Mine took a while to arrive, but they are so worth the wait. You'll love them :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Glad to know they withstand acetone and they're super affordable! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I was so shocked when the 1st ones I tried melted from acetone. How did those even pass quality assurance? Really happy these don't mind the acetone one bit :)

      Delete
  9. Wow how cool are they

    www.daniellemac.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had those from Born Pretty Store too.. I loved the idea, but the quality was poor. I will give these ones a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn't even compare those. These are so much better, not only in the quality and design of the clips (mechanism, etc), but they stand up to acetone! Score. You'll love them :)

      Delete
    2. Received them today :D
      Can't wait to give them a try.. Hopefully I will get to wear glitter polishes more often now :) Thank you for the tip :)

      Delete
    3. Yay! That was so quick!! I waited a couple of months for mine. :)
      I hope you love them and get to wear lots of sparkles with no fear!

      Delete
    4. A couple of months?? Seriously? Wow. I guess I was really lucky then.. :)

      Delete
    5. I had to go back and check to make sure I wasn't exaggerating. Took just a little over 1 month, so I guess not "a couple". Just seemed so long!!! LOL! I'm glad you got yours quickly though. I hope you love them :)

      Delete
  11. Great review, I placed any order! Removing glitter makes me feel old and grumpy, I'm hoping that these thingies will bring back some of the love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes it makes me feel old and grumpy too! I've chosen to forego adding a glitter topper many times just to avoid having to remove it. I'm much less grumpy now :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. They really are! I don't know how I lived so long without them now :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Definitely try these out if you love glitter and hate the removal! :)

      Delete

I love getting comments and reading what you have to say! So don't be shy... comment! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...